7.18.2012

Pimento Cheese Spread (Roasted Red Pepper Spread)


Some of you may have never heard of Pimento Cheese Spread.  It is a Southern thing (don't you just love it when someone says that) *grin* It's actually a roasted red pepper spread.  We enjoy it as a topping on burgers, as a spread for sandwiches and my favorite on crackers with some fruit.  It is also good fixed like a grilled cheese sandwich.  This recipe is a culmination of several recipes that I pulled things I liked from and did my own thing.  We both thought this was the best of any other I have ever made and will become a regular. Let me know what you think...

Pimento Cheese Spread (Roasted Red Pepper Spread)
8 oz cream cheese (I used light cream cheese)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (this can be a combination of cheeses, but sharp gives it bite)
1/3 cup light mayo (I use Kraft light)
1 pinch of each of the following powdered garlic, onion powder, cayenne pepper
1/2 t of paprika
several grinds of fresh black pepper
4 oz of pimentos or roasted red peppers

Beat cream cheese until creamy. Stir in cheese. Add mayo, paprika, garlic, onion powder, cayenne and black peppers, stir.  Stir in pimentos/roasted red peppers.  (I made mine in the food processor)
Chill at least 1 hour for best taste.

Serve with baguette slices, crackers, etc.  Makes about 2.5 to 3 cups.

Enjoy! Ciao! Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment