8.04.2012

Freezer Cooking Saturday

I had a lot of produce to process today.  I spent about 4 hours cooking today.
I scoured the internet looking for recipes to help me use up the produce.
I still have a few squash to use. 

Here's what I made today:
Chunky Tomato Bisque Soup
Stuffed Summer Squash
French Bread
Chopped Colored Sweet Peppers
Banana Peppers
Butter Beans (they got froze before pictures were taken)

Chunky Tomato Bisque Soup
I pulled a few things from several recipes and did the
mad scientist kitchen thing and created this. 
I left it a bit chunky instead of processing it smooth. This recipe turned out great.

Ingredients:
3-4 pounds of tomatoes peeled
(I placed them in boiling water for 30 seconds and skinned them)
2 T sugar
1/2 -1 t of oregano
1 stalk celery minced
1/2 small onion finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T butter

Saute the garlic, onion and celery in butter until tender in a nice size pot.
Take skinned tomatoes, they will be soft, sqush with your hand
 and place in pot with veggies.
Add sugar and oregano.
Simmer for 2 hours, or until condensed down.
Bag and freeze.

When ready to eat. Thaw, add 1 cup of milk, cream, etc and heat through.
Made 2 meals worth.

Stuffed Summer Squash
I had a lot of squash to use up. This was stuffed with Homemade Italian Sausage 
that was frozen last weekend. I also added a small can of mushrooms and
some of the tomato soup that was simmering. 
They will be topped with some cheese and heated up in the oven for a quick meal.
Made 2 meals worth.

French Bread
This French Bread recipe is from the Gourmet website.
It was a little more involved than the french bread I usually make, but turned out wonderfully.
Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. 
As you can tell there may have been some samplers in the kitchen when this came out of the oven. MMM!

Chopped Colored Peppers
We bought 9 colored peppers at Aldi.  Brad helped me chop them up for the freezer.

*Not pictured: Froze banana peppers and 2 bags of butter beans from our CSA box.

Ciao Amy ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment