We had a ton of yellow squash. I made squash this and squash that.
My mother use to make a yellow squash cake that was always a hit.
Below is her recipe. This turned out very good.
It was moist, very chocolaty and we have both enjoyed it this week.
Summer Squash Cake
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 butter, room temp
2 cups sugar (I adjusted this to 1.5 cups, my chocolate was lightly sweetened)
3 eggs, beaten
1 T vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
2 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour cream
3 cups coarsely grated yellow squash or zucchini
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the chocolate and oil in a small pan, over very low heat
3. Cream the butter until light
4. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla to butter, Beat well
5. Add the melted chocolate and mix well
6. Sift the dry ingredients and stir into the batter with the buttermilk
7. Mix the squash and nuts into the batter.
8. Grease and flour two (9 inch) cake pans
9. Divide the batter between the pans.
10. Bake on middle shelf of oven for 40 mins or until tester comes out clean
11. Cool completely before frosting.
* I used some canned chocolate frosting I had in the pantry.